Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Case for Going Out and Doing More Things Alone

The Case for Going Out and Doing More Things Alone

Long before I met my fiancé, I spent a lot of my free time alone. I relished meals out, afternoons in the park, and seeing what movies I wanted (always dramas). People would ask if I didn't feel lonely, but the answer was simple: I liked my own company. Sure, there were times when I wanted to share my experiences, but I preferred to do things at my own pace.

Now a new study proves I was right all along. As Rebecca Ratner, a professor of marketing at the Robert H. Smith School of Business, tells Washington Post, "people decide to not do things all the time just because they're alone. But the thing is, they would probably be happier going out and doing something."

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

In her study, "Inhibited from Bowling Alone," which will appear in the Journal of Consumer Research, Ratner and co-writer Rebecca Hamilton, a professor of marketing at the McDonough School of Business, explain that people consistently underestimate how much fun they'll have doing something alone, such as seeing a movie. For example, in one of the five experiments they conducted, people predicted they'd enjoy attending an art gallery less on their own when in fact, they enjoyed it as much as they would have with company.

The problem is people are too self-conscious. "If we get people to see that it's okay to do something for pleasure on their own that's the way to get rid of the stigma," Hamilton said. She's right: As someone who's travelled alone, both abroad and in the States, I can attest that no one could give a damn what you are doing. But that takes getting used to.

My advice: Bring a book along for the ride and take ownership of your down time. You won't get it at lunch and you probably won't get it at home, especially if you share cable. Life is short, so why not enjoy it at your own pace? I did, and my life's all the richer for it.

From: Esquire

NEXT: 17 Adorable Dining Nook Decorating Ideas



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment