Friday, December 30, 2016

What to Do About Declutter Burnout

What to Do About Declutter Burnout

What to Do About Declutter Burnout

Once we decide to live minimally we want our home to be decluttered… yesterday. Wouldn’t it be great if it had been done yesterday? But that’s not the case. Instead, we have to start today.

And then it happens:

In a mad rush, one entire room (or two) got decluttered and we started on the next. But this one has more stuff and now it’s everywhere.

It’s like the clutter monster puked.

On top of us.

And what if someone stops by? It’s visible. 

It would take hours to hide it all away and make the house presentable.

Looking around the room, there isn’t a starting point. There is only stuff. It’s overwhelming. Exhausted before you even start, it feels like clutter will surround you for all time.

It will just be sitting there. Always. Staring back at you. Mocking you.

~~

Many times we will start decluttering and accomplish so much in our home that when we come to the bigger areas or large amounts memorabilia we get discouraged and overwhelmed, partly because we’ve already worked so hard. It’s out of the “fun” stage and begins to require more thought as you consider each item.

You may feel like if you quit now, it will be forever looming over you and in the back of your mind. The peace that has begun to permeate the rest of your home will be stalled.

~~

So, what to do?

I have a good friend, who, thankfully, was willing to help me out. She came and sat in my basement and asked me the hard questions:

“Do you use that?”

“Are you ever going to use that?”

“Why do you even have that??

“Um, seriously?

There were times when I thought perhaps I shouldn’t have asked her to come and I would be so irritated I would never speak to her again. Well, at least for a month or two…

But after we were done I was so grateful that someone was willing to just be with me and help me process. I got rid of so much more than I would have if I worked at it alone.

Here are some methods to help you keep going, even when you never want to sort anything ever again:

  • Take a two week break. Set an appointment for yourself. Write it on your calendar, set a reminder on your phone. Plan to spend 30 minutes on that day decluttering.
  • Determine to work. Persistence will pay off. When the day of the decluttering appointment comes, force yourself (if necessary) to walk over to that area, set the timer and start working.
  • Promise yourself a reward. “After I declutter one drawer, I am going to sit and read my book for an entire hour!”
  • If you need more of a push, schedule a few  hours with an honest friend to come and ask you the “hard questions” about your stuff.
  • Consider hiring a professional organizer. Do an interview first, make sure the professional organizer is able to help you get rid of items, not just creatively rearrange.

More suggestions from Facebook

  • Ask a friend or 2 to come over and make a party of it! Pick friends who are honest and not collectors. [Avoid the friend who can think of 20 different crafts to make out of that rusting thingamajig.] ~Myra S.
  • Focus on just one room at a time, so as you complete each space you have a visual of your accomplishment. ~Minette L.
  • Pick an “easy” drawer/closet/area, where yo know there are items that will be easy to toss. ~Minette L.
  • Set a timer! Knowing you only have to work for a few minutes makes the task “do-able”. ~ Gerri H.
  • Take before and after pictures. It’s motivating to see what can be accomplished. ~Sue S.
  • I had some decorative shelving that was cluttered with decorations. Early in my journey, I cleaned them up and now use them to “display” my coffee cups. Whenever I feel burnt out, I look at those shelves and remember how they used to look and it makes me feel energized again. ~ Erin C.
  • Get nice organizational tools. Sometimes a space still feels cluttered because the few remaining items are stored poorly, so think about practical organization. ~ Jennifer R.
  • Decluttering can be overwhelming. Take a break. Enjoy your new space. Really look at and appreciate your space. Take a mental inventory of how much stuff is gone. ~Ann L.
  • Anytime I feel overwhelmed with something I take a break and go do something I enjoy doing. This gives me a break from feeling overwhelmed and then I can return to the task at hand with a clear and peaceful mind.~ Sage M.
  • Change of scenery! Like burnout at work, you may need to leave the situation for a while. Take a weekend away if you can (a must if you’re cleaning out mom and dad’s estate) or even go for a walk. Flex those tense muscles, get some sunlight. Letting your mind wander, as it does during a leisurely walk, is also a good way to work through the emotional elements of decluttering – which is sometimes the most exhausting part. ~ Jennifer R.

Thank you all!

Join the conversation on  my facebook decluttering group and my fan page.

Free Decluttering Chart!

2017in2017_1_thumb

Join over 24,440 subscribers and participate in the Yearly Decluttering Challenge: Declutter 2017 Items in 2017!


PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.

30 Days to a Clean and Organized Home. Transform Your Kitchen, Your Home, and Your Life!Want to transform your kitchen, your home and your life? The 30 Day Guide to a Clean and Organized Home Can Give You the Motivation You Need to Clear the Clutter and Have a Home You Love. Click here and get started TODAY.



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment